Building Department

Effective June 13, 2011, the Ohio Department of Industrial Relations, Board of Building Standards, granted Franklin Township the authority to enforce the Ohio Building Code (OBC). The OBC regulates all construction types and uses except for residential one-, two- and three-family structures.

Franklin Township

Building Plan Submissions

On January 30, 2014, the Franklin Township Board of Trustees passed resolution # 14-023 adopting a permit/ fee scheduled to be effective starting March 1, 2014, as outlined in the 2011 Ohio Fire Code Section (E) 105 Permits, Ohio Administrative Code 1301:7-7-01. All fire protection systems and building plans must be submitted to the Franklin Township Fire Code Official through the Franklin Township Building Department. Both entities require plan review and comment before the initiation of any construction. All permits and fees must be paid in full before demolition or construction.

This permit and fee schedule is in addition to those required by the Franklin Township Building Department. All contractors found working without an approved permit shall be charged four times the permit fee.

Permits & Fee Schedules

So you can plan your job accordingly, please remember plan review can take up to 30 days.

If you have questions regarding your fees or plan review, please get in touch with Franklin Township Building Department :

+1 (614) 279-9411 EXT: 0

Fees can be paid by cash or check, or over the phone with a credit card (a 3% processing fee applies)

Applications, drawings, and/or questions can be emailed to [email protected]

Use the links below to view PDF versions of the Fire Dept. Permit/ Fee Schedule; Permit Application Form

Franklin Township does not handle permits for residential properties that are one, two or three-family structures. Please contact Franklin County Building department.

Building permit approval by Franklin Township does not eliminate the potential requirement of zoning compliance through Franklin County.
A certificate of zoning compliance is required prior to:
  1. Changing the use of buildings or land
  2. The extension, erection, or alteration of any existing or new structure
  3. A disturbance of 1 or more acres of land

For information about certificates of zoning compliance contact: